Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I guess I can adapt

Anyone who knows me knows I have a favorite. My dad. That is just how it is. There is nothing that can be done. I like to hang out with my dad whenever possible and do not encourage outings where he doesn't get to take me along. My mom is always joking that what I really want for Christmas is some kind of operation that would surgically attach me to his side. I don't see why that's funny. That is a perfectly valid item to put on a wish list. This has become even more important now that he has started his new job and new working hours. He now gets to spend more time with me in the morning since he doesn't start work until 11am, but the bad side is that he doesn't get home until 8:30 pm. This is a bummer, especially since he says they don't allow personal dog assistants where he works so I can't come along.

Now we can't take our nightly strolls together. We always go for a night time walk before dinner. My mom comes along too and brings Dottie and Alven, but I always walk with my dad. He and I are walking partners. Without me he probably wouldn't be able to go half a block. He needs me. So now at night I have to go on a walk with my mom and Alven and Dottie, but no dad. At first I didn't approve of our new arrangement and would pull to go back home just in case dad showed up and thought I had left him behind. But after a while I realized this is just the way it's going to be from now on. I must adapt and make the best of things. Well at least until the weekend comes when Dad is here to walk with me again! Yay! On the bright side of things mom and I are spending some good quality time together. She lets me take sniffy breaks in my favorite spots, she makes sure to walk in the shade if it's too sunny (I don't like to get too hot), and sometimes she'll even bring a treat for when we stop to watch the sunset near the lake in the back of the community. We all get to sniff and enjoy a snack. So I guess it isn't so bad...maybe this is what my mom calls personal growth, or something. Who knows.

Flash's Tip Of The Day:
A sign of intelligence is the ability to adapt and evolve. Or, as my mom would say, "get your personal growth on!"

7 comments:

  1. How sweet. Dad's are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cousin Flash! I love walks! My personal walker that comes in the afternoon is the best, she lets me sniff anything I want. my mom and dad are good too,but aren't as libritarian with my sniffing. but really I don't care who takes me. The treat idea is good, your mom is smart, I will have to bring it up to my parents

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little Chloe is the same way! I am chop liver if my husband is home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're glad you are adapting Flash. It's hard to change old ways, especially if you are a stubborn dachshund.
    Love Ruby & Penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only been reading your site for about a month and just had to write to let you know how much I enjoy it. You create such wonderful ways to express your dogs personalities...I love it..thanks for sharing your life. I have two doxies, one a small standard named Lucy and a mini, Nikki...both 4 years old this year...I just love them. If you're interested, you can see what they look like at my blogspot, amyjoliving.blogspot.com. I'ts mainly for my nieces and nephews but would love to share my Halloween dogs with you. Thanks again...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you love your dad and just tolarate the rest of the world, but everybody loves you too.

    ReplyDelete